Are gas fire pits safe? Here at OGC we love to tell our customers that all of our Crystal Fire® Burners and fire pit tables are UL listed, but what does UL Listing mean?
“UL is a global independent safety science company with more than a century of expertise innovating safety solutions from the public adoption of electricity to new breakthroughs in sustainability, renewable energy and nanotechnology. Dedicated to promoting safe living and working environments, UL helps safeguard people, products and places in important ways, facilitating trade and providing peace of mind.”*
Essentially for a product to become UL Listed, it must go through several tests and meet high safety standards. Read below to find out more about these requirements.
- Rain – Since the product is intended for outdoor installation, a rain test is conducted to confirm all gas components, electrical components, etc. do not see water impact and the unit will continue to operate after being subjected to a rain impact.
- Corrosion – Verifies that the type of metal used is protected from outside elements that could lead to rusting and impact the unit’s structural integrity.
- Wind – Since the unit is intended for outdoor installation, wind testing is conducted to confirm that the burner flame and igniter flame are protected from extinguishment of a wind impact. This is critical for a match light ignition where there is no safety shutoff of the valve in the case of wind blowing out the burner.
- Clearances to combustibles – During the Wall, Floor, and Ceiling Temperature Testing, the unit is installed with combustible walls located at the manufacturers minimum clearance to surrounding combustible construction. This test is conducted to confirm that the surrounding combustible construction does not exceed the minimum allowable temperature limits, which could cause ignition of the combustibles if too close to the unit.
- Material testing (what we use and the components) –All components are investigated for temperature and operation to confirm acceptability.
When you purchase an OGC fire pit table or Crystal Fire® burner, you're getting a beautiful fire product that's also safe for your family and friends. Let the Outdoor GreatRoom Company help define your outdoor experience.
*For more information visit www.UL.com